Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Mindfulness Activity: Improve your Mood, Motivation and Mental Health with RCC

Recognize negative self-talk: My friend was late meeting with me. He must not like me enough to be on time. He will probably stop hanging out with me. 

Challenge negative self –talk: Ask yourself questions like…Is there a different way to see the situation?

Change negative self-talk: My friend is probably late because he is so busy. I am glad he is here now so we can hang out!


Practice: In the scenarios, re-shape your thinking by changing negative self-talk to positive self-talk.

1-    Recognize negative self-talk- I’m never going to pass my math class, I’m terrible at it!

   Challenge negative self-talk- Is there a different way for me to look at this situation? Is it helpful to see the situation in this way?

      Time to re-shape: How would you Change this negative self-talk?

2-    Recognize negative self-talk- Covid19 has destroyed my social life forever, I’ll never see my friends again.

    Challenge negative self-talk- How realistic is this thought? Would I see it in the same way if I was in a better mood?

       Time to re-shape: How would you Change this negative self-talk?


Takeaway: When you start having negative emotions, it is time to “RCC”: recognize, challenge and change negative self-talk. This is one way to improve your mood, motivation and mental health!